Sunday, January 17, 2010

Try and keep up now!

Hey again.

I'd like to say that i'm posting again because the previous post was a catch-up and that I have something important to say. This is not the case. I'm posting so that my average now stands at one post per week! That seems like a good time frame to work on, right? No real commitment yet, but we'll see where it goes.

I've been thinking (Suprise suprise. I spend half my life in my own head) about this Blog for a while now, and after reading EmLaw's claim that her Blog was a kind of time capsule, I took a look into my own capsule.

She's not wrong. This blog (FB people click here) started years ago as a chronicle of my time in America, and has records of some of the most fun I have ever had. I know it was (Is) only updated sporadically, but the thought that went into a lot of the posts is impressive, if I do say so myself. Yes, sometimes it was immature and pointless, but think of that as the jokes inbetween the stories in Scrubs. Just a little comic relief.

I think the biggest attraction to blogging for me is the creativity I get from starting with nothing on the screen and just throwing ideas at it until I find something worth writing about. I have been complimented on my style of writing before, and I have honestly thought about taking creative writing classes. The problem I have with that idea is that it seems, to me at least, to be an excersise in futility. Surely setting aside time to be creative for homework is impossible? To quote Calvin and Hobbes;

“-You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
-What mood is that?
-Last-minute panic.”

Also, my mastery of the English language is poor, especially with regards to spelling and punctuation involving any of the following characters: :;,"-

So, I blog because it is my place to flesh out ideas and have some feedback. Speaking of which, I had another thought today which I thought was incredibly calming. Statistically, none of us exist. Let me explain my logic behind that.

If we take it as gospel that the universe is as massively astronomically huge as we are told, then the ammount of people in the universe per square mile is so insignificant that it isn't worth mentioning! Some minute fraction of a percentage of a decimal. Everything that we are, and that we know, does not exist. Statistically speaking.

I thought that was incredibly deep and liberating, until I did some research and found out that Douglas Adams said the same thing, more eliquantly and much, much earlier than I did. So I shall leave you now with the words of a man much deeper, and funnier, than I will ever be.

“It is known that there are an infinte number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.”


Mind status: Blown.

Peace out Kiddies.

Jamie
Veg
Dunch

1 comment:

MLA said...

If people didn't matter, they wouldn't create.

Keep writing, sir!