Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Darts, Dice and Douglas.


Hey guys! Time for another entry into Butterflies and Hurricanes!

As you can see to the left there and at the top of the page, the first thing I want to talk about tonight is Darts! As far as sports go, it's probably not the most exciting. To be honest, calling it a sport is a bit ridiculous. It's like pool/snooker, bowling and to a certain extent, Golf. They're not sports. They should be referred to as games of skill. Still, despite that, I love playing darts!

My dad has played darts for the majority of his adult life, but I never really got the hang of it. A couple of years ago though, I tried it again, and had a great time with it! Aside from being great entertainment on a night out, I find it incredibly relaxing. Throwing darts, especially with some music on the iPod, is incredibly medatative for me. I find my mind clears up completely, and I can think freely. It's similar to skateboarding for me in that respect, just a way to be completely focused and yet at the same time think freely. Love it.

The second part of the title is Dice. I'm not talking normal dice here, I'm talking about my 100 sided dice, or D-100. Check it -


For those of you who are un-aware, those are dice normally used in Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) style games. Dismissed by many as dorkish and basement-dwellerish, the role playing game that I play with certain other people a lot of you know (I'll let them reveal themselves) is a lot of fun. Imagine this, we all know that books are better than the films based on them, right? Well for a similar reason, dice based games such as these are a lot of fun. Imagination combined with quality banter (Most of the time) results in a great night of dorky entertainment.

I only mention this because i'm starting (Well, joining) a new campaign tonight! Very excited!

The third thing up there is Douglas. As in Douglas Adams, author of my favourite book series, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy! Incidentally, it's a great example of a book that is fantastic and a film that is completely lackluster.

The book is just hilarious. I believe I quoted Mr. Adams in one of the first posts this year, and I shall share with you some more of his pearls of wisdom;

  • "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
  • "The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be."
  • Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
I find his work hilarious. I hope you can see why!

I'll think of something deep to post over the next week or so!

To finish, not necessarily a quote, but a song you need to see. Seriously, click this link. I know where you sleep. Cool Guys Don't Look at Explosions.

Until next time kiddies,

Jamie
Veg
Dunch

1 comment:

Matt said...

Have you read Terry Pratchett? I think you'd love him.