Thursday, January 28, 2010

Zombie contingency plan

Uunngghh,

So, I was watching the 2008 remake of the film Day of the Dead last night, and it got me thinking, when did zombies become fast? Zombies are supposed to be slow. The fear comes from the overwhelming numbers and sense of futility you get from the situation. Modern zombie films have them running, possessing super strength and even thinking. To me, thats not a zombie. There are, for me at least, two classes of zombie.

Firstly, you have the standard "George Romero" zombie. A reanimated (Due to a virus of some kind) corpse that survives on instinct. They need to feed on live flesh, and that is it. They have very little motor skills, making running, climbing or using tools impossible. Walking is a struggle. The fear comes from knowing that one bite could turn anyone you know against you. (Ref: Any of the "Of the Dead" original films)

The second type of "Acceptable" zombie is the ones depicted in films such as 28 days later, or the (2006?) remake of Dawn of the Dead. These are the same as the normal zombies, except that they can vary in physical prowess. They can perform as well as the body that died can. Let me explain. Both types of zombies don't feel pain, nor fatigue. This means that they can use the person who died's body to sprint, or beat through doors, for almost unlimited periods, until they either break a muscle or bone, or lactic acid eats away at the muscles. This makes them incredibly dangerous initially. They have the same inate need to feed on live flesh, which passes on the virus. (Ref: 28days/weeks later, Modern "Of the Dead" films.)

So, with regards to the title, I would like to share my Zombie Contingency Plan.

When I was in America, I was living with three people who were just as derranged as I was in wanting to prepare for the inebitble apocolypse, so natually we had a concrete plan for survival. We assumed that the first place a zombie outbreak would occour was the local hospital, since the symptoms of the impending zombification would show themselves as illnesses. Once the first person "Turned" it would only be a matter of time until the entire hospital was overrun.

Our plan was to get into one of the cars and head down to a local sporting goods shop that could serve as home base for the duration. Black out the big glass windows (Except for the top 2 feet, to let light in) and barricade the doors. There was access to the roof via a ladder, and a Dollar store next door, which could provide plenty of long-term packaged/canned food and water, along with basic medical supplies. The sports shop had everything you would need for an extended stay. Tents/sleeping bags, camp equipment, excersize equipment and even a basketball hoop and pool table. It also carried guns. Now, I don't agree with going looking for trouble when the zombies attack, but it will eventually find you, so you might as well be prepared. We may also have to deal with other agressive survivors.

Using that plan, we'd be safe for a couple of months at least.

Where I live now? I'm screwed!

I've looked around for somewhere to hold up in the case of an attack, and to be honest, it looks grim! From the obvious, such as my distance from the useful parts of town to the subtle, such as the thin, winding streets that make up Plymouth. Ambushes everywhere.

The only saving grace that might be available to me is the small island known as "Drakes Island". But here is the route from my house (Near enough, I dont want you lot stalking me...) to the Island. It's about 3000 feet from the shore, so certainly swimmable.


View Larger Map

You see what I have to deal with? Not to mention fighting back. No gun shops in Plymouth. I'd have to make do with what I could find. Not good! Also, the people I associate with here in Plymouth dont seem to care enough about this pressing issue. If one of the AA boys was bitten and knew they were going to turn, I know they would do the right thing and sacrifice themselves while taking out as many zombies as possible. The people here? They'd be the ones who hide the bite and end up killing us all.

Still, there is also plan B. Raid a local liquor store and just have a good time until the enibitble!

So, Would anyone else like to share their survival plan?

Today's quote is from a zombie man himself. Simon Pegg.

"I used to lie in bed in my flat and imagine what would happen if there was a zombie attack."

See, other people do this too!
Keep it safe Kids.

Jamie
Veg
Dunch

9 comments:

MLA said...

I just wanted to let you know that I did NOT read this post because it is about zombies. Blog about something that exists.

Yours sincerely,

MLA

Jamie said...

Thanks Emlaw.

I did mean to put that at the start. But read it, its not as bad as it looks.

Or not.

Either way, I'm prepared.

Kit Bennett said...

Jamie we should all probably have PHds in zombies by now and couldn't agree with you more. No more plans as I was in the original plan...

I would shoot you in a second if you got bitten, that is true love....

Security word of the day...'croat' - what the hell is a croat, crocodile/goat?

Emily as Simon Pegg's wold say, JOG ON! Embrace the Zombie/Mac sesnsation.

Jamie said...

Please don't combine zombies and macs. Not even close.

Also, you wouldn't have to shoot me! That was what I was getting at. I'd be more than willing to attempt a suicidal, yet heroic, death by driving a lit tanker into a crowd of zombies or something. Saving you guys, and stopping me from biting your delicious brains.

Matt said...

An island? Wouldn't the zombies just walk through the water and get you? They don't breathe, right? Or do they need that as much as lactic acid?

Matt said...

Considering you ignored my last comment, perhaps this will pique your interest.

http://www.reddit.com/comments/awr4p/how_long_could_you_survive_the_zombie_apocalypse/

Unknown said...

You're not updating.

Jamie said...

Ahh, there has been some activity. Good.

Although for some reason it's not telling me in gmail anymore... Damn.

There is a castle on the island that could be made into a somewhat effective shelter. But essentially, i'm screwed.

... that link is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

MLA... it's people like you that will not survive... because in reality, no one ever thinks there will be a zombie apocalypse... that's why they are caught off guard.